If you own a Windows Mobile or Windows CE device and if you are a KDE user, this project is probably what you were looking for. SynCE for KDE aims at integrating your device into KDE, providing the expected communication facilities. In particular, the SynCE for KDE project permits you:
- To browse the device file system in Konqueror, and to transfer files in both directions
- To install CAB files directly to the device
- To mirror the device screen on your PC desktop, being therefore able to use your main keyboard to control it, taking screenshots, etc.
- To connect several devices at a time.
It also presents advanced features like
- IP forwarding to access the internet from the device by the mean of the USB-cable connection
- AvantGo synchronization
- Synchronization between the device and Kontact organizer (still in active development at the moment).
To install and use SynCE for KDE, we recommend that you follow the steps below. Note that almost every information mentionned here has been tested, so we can reasonably expect this howto to be reliable. In case you had trouble with some point, check first if you followed this howto point by point, then contact the synce-users mailing list.
These instructions assume that you have SynCE installed and you want to further your integration by installing support for KDE. Installation instructions can be found here.
You have several options available for installing SynCE for KDE:
- From packages either on the SynCE website or your distribution's repository
- From Subversion (the bleeding edge of development)
Please choose the relevant option below:
Install from Packages
To install from packages, you must either get the packages from your distribution's repository or install the binary packages on the SourceForge site. Please choose the appropriate section:
Package from Distribution
You must install the synce-kde package.
apt-get install synce-kde
Package from SourceForge
Download the synce-kde-pack0.9.1-6.i586.rpm file and install it using the rpm command:
rpm -Uvh synce-kde-pack-0.9.1-6.i586.rpm
Install from Subversion
First, you must have a Subversion client installed, then execute:
svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/synce-kde svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/kcemirror svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/trunk/syncekonnector
This will checkout the latest versions of synce-kde, kcemirror and syncekonnector. Now you must install each package:
cd synce-kde/ ./bootstrap ./configure make sudo make install cd ..
cd kcemirror/ ./bootstrap ./configure make sudo make install
You need the headers of kdepim to compile syncekonnector (e.g. the kdepim-dev package under debian)
cd syncekonnector/ ./bootstrap ./configure make sudo make install
You need to restart KDE.